Common Causes Of House Fires And Damage Restoration
Forest fires in Alaska have broken records in recent years. Just 2 years ago, the McKinley fire took over 3700 acres just 80 miles north of Anchorage. While we do need to be aware and cautious of forest fires here in Anchorage, we also need to be aware and cautious of house fires. Let’s look at some of the most common causes of house fires according to the U.S. Fire Administration, and just what we can do to help prevent any sort of fire damage restoration.
- Cooking is the cause of 50% of all house fires. The plethora of flammable objects combined with appliances that reach high temperatures in order to prepare food make the kitchen a perfect breeding ground for fires. So, how can we help reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in the kitchen?
- Start with being more alert and present in the kitchen, and use caution whenever you are cooking or baking – especially when using hot oil or fryers
- Never leave hot surfaces or appliances unattended, and keep an eye on food that is cooking
- Make sure that your cooking surfaces and appliances are clean from build-up or spills that can become kindling to a fire
- Keep flammable objects away from hot surfaces and other sources of heat
- Get a fire extinguisher and store it near the kitchen so you can respond quickly if a fire does break out
- Heating devices, like space heaters and furnaces, are the second most common causes of house fires. Let’s talk about space heaters first.
- If you use space heaters in your home, do not leave them on unattended
- Be sure that they are placed a safe distance from other objects in the room
- Consider plugging them into a surge protector rather than straight into an outlet to reduce the risk of electrical overload which can also start fires
Now, let’s focus on the furnace.
- Keep up on routine maintenance to extend the life of your furnace and prevent costly malfunction
- Change the filter regularly to prevent build up which will not only prevent your furnace from keeping your home warm, but can also be a huge fire risk
If you heat your home with a wood burning stove, be sure to keep it clean and maintained, including the chimney, to prevent fires. For gas stoves, ensure that nothing flammable is near the stove and turns the gas line off when not in use. We know how it is important to keep your home warm here in Anchorage, just do so safely to prevent fires.
- Frayed wires, damaged cords, and overwhelmed outlets are just a few examples of electrical malfunction that are the next most common cause of house fires. Electricity is a staple in the home, but can also be very damaging when handled carelessly.
- Do not use any damaged wiring or charging cords, get them replaced
- Do not plug too many cords into one outlet, especially for electronics
- Utilize surge protectors when you need to plug in more than one device
- If a cord or charger feels hot or warms up when plugged in, unplug it immediately and do not use again until it is cooled down
Fire Damage Restoration In Anchorage
While these are just a few of the causes of house fires, being more cautious and implementing these practices in your home can help protect it from fire damage. At TCM Restoration, we know not all fires are preventable, but we also know what a big difference preparedness and caution can make. If you need fire damage restoration in Anchorage, whether from a forest fire or house fire, give us a call.