Of all the home disasters a homeowner can experience, most would agree that a fire is one of the worst. They are destructive, dangerous, and traumatic. Fire and smoke damage restoration can be a long and stressful process. It can take a lot of time to recover after a house fire, so it is important to do what you can to prevent one. Here are five of the most common causes of fires and how they can be prevented.
Kitchens are one of the most frequent areas of a house to experience a house fire. There are a lot of things that can cause an accidental fire in the kitchen, and cooking is the leading cause of house fires. It is important not to leave anything unattended and to be careful to keep anything flammable away from the stove or other hot surfaces. You should also keep a fire extinguisher close by.
One thing to remember: Grease fires cannot be put out with water and must instead be smothered. DO NOT throw water on a grease fire because it will only make it worse.
Candles can make your home smell nice and are a good source of romantic lighting. However, candles are one of the most common causes of accidental house fires. Candles should not be lit and then left unattended. Candles in bedrooms are especially dangerous if you fall asleep. Candles should be kept on flat surfaces where they are not at risk of tipping over and away from anything that might accidentally catch the flame, such as curtains.
Our homes are full of electric wiring to make everything run. However, there are ways that the wiring can malfunction, which might lead them to ignite. Watch for signs that something is wrong with your electricity, such as frequently blown fuses, discoloration around outlets, and hot odors. You should also get your electric wiring inspected periodically and always use a professional electrician for any repairs you may need. If electrical fires do happen, call fire and smoke damage restoration pros to help cleanup.
Heaters are a necessity, especially in the winter. However, heaters that are not cleaned regularly can be a fire risk. They should be cleaned before you turn them on for the first time in the winter. Chimneys also need to be regularly cleaned and inspected to make sure they do not cause any fires. Fireplaces should always have a screen to prevent sparks from getting out and igniting anything. If you use space heaters, consider using newer ones that will turn off automatically so they do not overheat.
Cigarettes are still a common cause of house fires. If you or anyone else in your household smoke, it is important to always make sure your cigarettes are completely extinguished. Do not fall asleep while smoking.
Fire and smoke damage restoration is not something you would want to go through if you don’t have to. It is important to utilize these tips to prevent fires as best as you can. If you experience a house fire in your Anchorage home, be sure to call T.C.M. Restoration for cleanup assistance. They will help with the fire and smoke damage restoration so you stay safe and can have peace of mind that your home is in good hands.