6 Tips To Prevent Kitchen Fire Damage

fire damage restoration anchorageAt TCM Restoration, we have seen first-hand the trauma that comes with a fire and know how devastating it can be. We care about our clients in Anchorage and want to provide the best service possible, so we believe that education is key.

Since kitchen fires are the cause of over half of the house fires that occur, we wanted to inform our readers on ways to prevent kitchen fires in their homes.

  1. Have a fire extinguisher on hand. You should store the extinguisher near the kitchen in a cool place. Make sure that you know how to work the extinguisher so that if a small fire does break out, you can respond quickly and correctly. You can use the acronym PASS to remember how to use a fire extinguisher:

  • Pull the pin
  • Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
  • Squeeze the trigger
  • Sweep from side to side

  1. Be extra cautious with grease. If you are deep-frying, only fill the pot 1/3 of the way full of oil.  When grease and oil heat up, it can pop and splatter onto nearby objects and surfaces, igniting fires. If a grease fire starts, DO NOT attempt to extinguish it with water. Water and grease do not mix, and using water on a grease fire will only make it worse. If the flames are small, you can out the lid on the pot to extinguish the flames. You can also use a fire extinguisher or baking soda to put out a grease fire. If the flames are not responding to your extinguishing efforts, or are growing larger, do not waste any time trying to put it out. Call 911 and exit the building immediately.

  1. Never leave cooking food unattended. Carelessness in the kitchen will greatly increase the risk of a fire breaking out. If an appliance is on, be present and aware. Heat left unchecked can spark fires, and fires can spread in a kitchen very quickly. Be present, alert and attentive while cooking in the kitchen. Burning food left in the oven too long can cause a fire, and the most common cause of burned food is neglect.

  1. Keep your oven and stovetop clean. Build up inside the bottom of the oven is perfect kindling for a fire. With high heats used inside ovens, any excess sludge, grime, crumbs, and other burnt on residues can easily catch fire. If something inside your fire catches on fire, turn off the oven, shut the door, and keep it shut. Without oxygen supply the fire will go out on its own. When things spill on your stovetop and then heat back up, they can begin smoking and become flammable. Keep surfaces clean and clear when cooking.

  2. Do not leave electric appliances plugged in. Even if turned off, when plugged in appliances still draw electricity through cords. Any time there is electric current present there is an increased risk of fire. If microwaves or toasters begin to spark, unplug them immediately and do not continue to use it. 

Fire Damage Restoration In Anchorage

At the end of the day, safety is the most important thing. Be safe in the kitchen, and if you do suffer from a fire, call TCM Restoration. We specialize in fire damage restoration and promise to take care of you.