The truth about fire damage is that it can be much worse than most people think. If you have just experienced a house fire, the following might sound surprising to you.
There is a reason why it is important to act quickly after water damage, but you’re probably wondering what that really means and why you should be worried about leaving the dampness behind. We’ll explain why and discuss the reasons why acting quickly to have a fire restoration expert take care of the damage is the best thing you can do.
First, it is important to act quickly. Smoke and soot can cause permanent damage to your home if you don’t have a professional cleanup fast. Additionally, any water left over from the fire will cause mold growth if not dealt with in a timely fashion. The longer you wait, the more damage will occur—and the more costly restoration becomes.
Thankfully, by knowing what actions you should take in the event of a fire, you can minimize the damage to your home and ensure no further problems arise.
After the fire, your home may be covered in layers of soot and ash. This is a very toxic environment that can cause health problems. The soot left behind by the fire is acidic, and depending on how long it sits, can wear away at surfaces inside your home.
The water used by firefighters to put out the blaze may also cause damage to your home. Wet belongings are more susceptible to mold growth, and if not removed quickly, will begin to grow mold spores within days of the fire.
If a structure experiences significant damage from a fire or smoke exposure is prolonged, asbestos removal may be necessary before rebuilding can take place. Asbestos fibers are invisible to the naked eye but can be inhaled when disturbed during cleanup or demolition efforts. To avoid potential health risks from asbestos exposure, this step should only be taken with professional guidance from an asbestos abatement contractor who has specialized training in dealing with these materials safely and appropriately for disposal.
The longer you wait, the worse the damage will become. Smoke and soot are acidic in nature, which means they cause corrosion and etching to occur. They can also discolor paints and varnishes, stain fabrics and cause plastics to become yellow and brittle. In a matter of days following a fire, even hard surfaces such as porcelain tiles and glass can be permanently etched or discolored. Wood furniture can require refinishing or replacement if not properly cleaned in a timely manner.
Water is another major concern following a fire as it can cause mold growth that often occurs naturally in humid places like bathrooms, kitchens or basements. The reason mold is such a problem is that it will cause extensive damage to your property while also being a health hazard for your family members. If you have experienced any problems with mold in the past then you should act quickly before it spreads from one room to the next throughout your home or office!
Some of your belongings may not be as damaged as they appear. Though it sounds counterintuitive, fire damage is often limited to the surface layers of materials in a room, so smoke and soot damage might actually be the worst part.
For less porous materials, this means that an item can be washed or cleaned and then look completely normal again. For more porous materials (like clothing) you may need to have them professionally cleaned by a restoration company that specializes in such work. This can make items look good as new, too!
Because smoke tends to circulate throughout enclosed spaces like homes or rooms within homes, it can easily spread its oily residue to other areas and objects nearby. This residue bonds quickly with porous surfaces—and sometimes non-porous ones—and leaves behind discoloration that may seem impossible to remove.
In the aftermath of a fire, you may feel ashamed or embarrassed about your situation. But there’s no need to feel that way. The fact is, fires are common. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to a structure fire every 63 seconds in the United States. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help; experts are available who can explain your options and help you with insurance claims if necessary.
If you’ve been affected by a fire and don’t know where to start, contact TCM Restoration #2 today! We’re here to help you get through this difficult time.
Fire and water are sworn enemies, but they don’t have to be. TCM Restoration #2 has seen it all when it comes to natural disasters. Whether it’s a fire in your home, or the devastation of a hurricane, a broken pipe, or a flash flood—TCM Restoration #2 has the solutions you need. And when it comes to Fire Damage Restoration in Anchorage, we are the ones for the job.