DID YOU KNOW that mold can develop in your home and all it takes are: three common things?
1. Moisture: Mold needs moisture to grow, which is why you see it all the time in showers and baths… and, unfortunately, in basements. You can clean up the mold in a shower or bath, but when you see it in other parts of the home, it’s best to call a pro.
2. Food: Mold is alive, and needs to eat. So usually you won’t see mold growing on plastic surfaces in your home. It will grow on wood and other organic surfaces. However, dirt in the carpet or on the floor can be a food source, so keeping your house super clean is smart.
3. Darkness: Mold likes the shadows of your home, and grows quickly in the dark. That’s why basements are often the first place mold is discovered.
Do-it yourself mold removal?
If you are going to clean up some mold in your house, it’s important to protect yourself. A mold removal specialist knows the dangers of mold, and if you hire a pro, you will see him all suited up and protected against possible contamination.
For cleaning up very small amounts of mold, like you might find in a shower stall, be sure to wear rubber gloves, the type that come up to your elbows. And wear a good mask, the type the EPA recommends (like an N-95 from your hardware store) so that you don’t inhale mold spores. Spores are actually the dangerous part of mold, and they are very tiny and float in the air, which means you can breathe them in. Eye protection goggles are also smart, but avoid goggles that have holes in them.
Remember, do-it-yourself mold removal is only for those common molds like in showers and baths. Anything else? Call a pro!We do free Mold Inspections. Call to schedule an appointment Anchorage 562-7410 or Mat Su Valley 373-7410.